Sunday, June 16, 2013

Thanks Dad!

I‘m a child of the satellite age
I’ve never relied on the North Star to get where I wanted to go and
I’ve never pinned my hope on breadcrumbs to get back
I do have several compasses
They are some of my favorite knickknacks to set around on the shelves and
Pull down and dust off every so often
To teach the kids about directions or
Robert Peary and Frederick Cook but
The GPS is more helpful getting out of Philadelphia and
It is a great teaching tool too
Cartography
Electronics
Space and
Keeping your cool
When it tells you to take a right turn
Only to request urgently
Almost frantically
That you take the nearest safe u-turn
My kids will have their own tools and
Mine and
I hope my kids learn how to make use of all of them
In whatever way they can and
In whatever age it is they come into their own in and
That they realize that the bird food and the dead suns are the easy part and
Most importantly
That I can help them find their way to where they want and need to go
In the way you have helped
Me
Child of the satellite age
Child of my dad


No comments: