Wednesday, May 28, 2014

My Guinea Pig

If you’ve heard the one about the tree in the woods
You’ll understand that I have to be off
It’s hard to know for sure when your patient is sick
If you aren’t there to listen to the cough

It’s almost time for dinner now
And carrots, parsley and grapes
They will not ever chop themselves
And jump up onto the plate

My little friend, he eats and he sleeps
He squeaks and he eats quite frequently
And between the three it’s safe to say
Eating is his speciality

When I appear at the top of the stairs
The gymnastics and theatrics begin
If it wasn’t for all of his eating
He’d really be very very very very very  thin

He jumps, he chews, he squeals with rage
Gripping the bars of his rectangular cage
Being small must not seem so fair
Especially not when he’s trapped inside there

Does he save this show just for me
Or does the cat stop by
And politely offer to serve
A homemade carrot pie

All that I know for certain
Is that when I put his bowl next to his hay
He empties it completely
That is all he ever really has to say

So I’ll be going now
See you later this week
I have a tree at home
That is about to squeak

By: Seren Alexia Angus

1 comment:

Beth H said...

Her words and sweet voice convey her love for her dear pet, Hector.