Monday, November 12, 2007

Little Rewards: Dipity Gives Me A Hand

As the ever uncertain prospect of work becomes more certain, or at least more necessary, I am trying to be a more conscious stay-at-home dad. As a part of this campaign, I am introducing a new feature to my blog. So, welcome to the first edition of Little Rewards. Parenthood is all about little rewards. I'm not so sure they are really so little. These little rewards certainly don't have the risque appeal of surprise sex with a super model, the intellectual satisfaction of having Stephen Hawking roll through the door, or the panache of a new Ferrari in the driveway with a bow on top. They may not even be in the same league as opening your door and finding an old man holding a huge check and four or five balloons. These rewards do, however, more than justify any and all of the real and supposed travails of parenthood. Today's featured reward is one of my favorite things in the whole wide world. Dipity can walk, but through a combination of rough and sometimes frightening terrain and mutual preference, I carry her quite a bit. When I hold her with my right arm, she always places her left hand just behind my shoulder. Sometimes it just sits there. Sometimes she pats or scratches my back. Regardless of what that little hand is up to, except when it's mother hasn't kept up with trimming it's nails, if it's back there I'm a happy daddy. It's a little thing, but it's awfully hard to beat.

No comments: