Friday, November 02, 2007

Nappy Headed Hos

A few weeks ago, it came to light that an attorney for a player on Rutger's women's basketball team had e-mailed the school complaining about the pressure placed on his client by Coach C. Vivian Stringer and others to dissuade her from proceeding with her slander and defamation suit against Don Imus. I'm not worried about C. Vivian Stringer. Other than lingering a little too long on a stupid comment, which can be mostly excused by the outrageous amount of outrage and attention that the comment stirred up, she has responded with class and composure. I think her uneducated swipe at Isaiah Thomas was classless and completely uncalled for, but that's another story on which I have a bit of bias. I only recently gave up on the possibility of giving birth to Zeke's kids. Anyway, I should return to my current concern, which is that this lawsuit was even contemplated. It might just be the most recent sign of the coming Apocalypse. It was ridiculous enough for Imus to be fired over the "nappy ho" comment. That someone thought about suing doesn't surprise me, but what the hell? I'm not sure how being referred to as a "nappy headed ho" by someone most of us long ago had concluded was an ass rises to the level of an actionable offense. It was offensive, but come on ... had any of these people ever listened to Don Imus before? Besides, the comment brought them all kinds of press, much of it positive. Hell, they won the Wilma Rudolph Courage Award because of Don Imus. They should be thanking him for calling them "nappy headed hos." He should be suing them for losing his job. It just goes to show that nothing in this world of ours is as simple as it should be. If the world was a simpler and more fathomable place, I would never have found myself arguing that Don Imus should keep his job or feeling happy that he was returning to the airwaves. Damn those "nappy headed hos."

No comments: