Friday, February 14, 2014

Valentine

Friday the fourteenth
A number of years ago
In September
Friday the fourteenth was the day after my birthday
Thursday the thirteenth
Neither day unlucky
But both tinged with foreboding
One the sort that strikes you when you wake up on the day of a big test
And it looks much brighter
And much more like the middle of the day
Than it should
The other is the kind of foreboding folks experience in horror movies
When they hear themselves say something like
“Sure, I’ll go see why Rob hasn’t come back yet”
Today
I’m not even mildly suspicious of what is waiting for me in the next room
And I’ve never felt more than five minutes late all day long
Today
Had candy
Cookies
And homemade cards
But no presents to open
Or play with
Or contemplate
Today
It is Friday the fourteenth
Of February


No comments: