Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Monday January 21

Barack Obama has been hit with that most vile of all labels. He has ... I can hardly even bring myself to think it, let alone type it ... he's been called a ... Muslim!! Who could do such a thing? This is in the same league as saying McCain was gay. Someone did that in 2000. Can you believe it?

Obama responded to his horrible rumor by saying that "I think that those who are of the Muslim faith are deserving of respect and dignity." What a guy. He is so gracious and respectful. I don't think I could have endured such an insult with such grace and thoughtfulness. If he hadn't gone on the attack, though, I don't think I could have continued to consider voting for him. I mean, to let such a vile accusation go unanswered. Someone might actually think he was a Muslim. So I'm glad he said, "but to try and feed into this fear-mongering and try to question my faith commitments and my belief in Jesus Christ, I think is offensive." I am so thankful that Obama stood up and reassured America that he is a "committed Christian" and that he "felt a beckoning of the spirit and accepted Jesus Christ into his life." He has put it in writing in his most recent mailer in South Carolina, it's right there over top of the picture with him in the pulpit in front of an organ and a cross.

Obama has come through this trial with flying colors. He has answered this horrible accusation with strength and courage. I shudder to think what might have happened had he just laughed it off, or said something frightful like: "I'm hoping that I can do my part to bring our country to a place where being called a Muslim or a gay man wouldn't be considered an insult, and couldn't possibly be used as part of a smear attack of a Presidential candidate." What would Muslims in this country and around the world think of a country where such a statement was possible. How could they possibly consider such a place to be a beacon of light? What kind of a world would I be bringing my Dipity into if such a thing were possible. I will certainly rest easier tonight.

No comments: