Friday, November 22, 2013

Freeze

Freeze
That’s what I want to say from the front seat
So that I can take all my attention away from the
Chevy’s
Honda’s
Ford’s
Jeep’s
Toyotas
Red
Blue
Black and
Mostly white
It’s the white ones I can see in my mind’s eye
Them and
 The Dunkin Donuts and
 The Dairy Delite and
 I’m not interested in seeing any of them
Then or
Now
And I want the radio to stop too
No more Katy Perry
I want to be able to turn around and watch her face
Immediately after I reach behind me and give her hand a squeeze
Immediately
Before she reciprocates and
She always reciprocates
Almost automatically
But not quite
It’s a delayed twitch
And it’s delayed
Because first she has a natural reaction
Her whole little body relaxes
She smiles
Just a little
No teeth
No laughter
No hysteria
Just a slight upturn of her lips and
A different look in her eye
And then it’s gone
Always
Before I can appreciate it or
Even be sure it was really there
Amongst the Accords
Sierras
Coffee and
Ice Cream
Before
I can focus my powers and
Make everything
Freeze

No comments: