Tuesday, October 02, 2007

Embrace the Chaos

This is one of those mornings that I'll look back on with great fondness ... in twenty years or so. I'm sick. I've been sick since Friday. A sore throat became a cold became a fever became a worse cold became a milder cold with a nasty cough, and that's where I am now. The cough emerged last night at 11:30, after I decided I felt better and stayed up late for the first time in several days so that I could chip away at a few of the many tasks that had accumulated. My daughter is just emerging from a cold, hopefully. She is feeling good enough to wake up at 5:00 a.m. and 5:30 a.m. My wife may have an ear infection. The cats were fighting sometime in the early a.m., and left fur and a few drops of urine on the kitchen floor. And I almost forgot, last night was pay the bills night, or pay as many of the bills as possible night. Right now it is all just a little overwhelming, but in thirty or forty years, this is the kind of morning I will look back on with fondness. We're right in the middle of it now. As I write this, my daughter is in my lap playing with my cell phone and trying to help me type. Maybe I was wrong. Maybe it won't take me twenty years to appreciate this. I'll have to ponder all of this another time, though. I think one of us needs a new diaper. Thankfully I'm still at that stage where it's not likely to be me.

No comments: