Thursday, January 30, 2014

The Space Between

Sitting in class
I used to draw lines in between the words in my text books and
Handouts
Starting at the top of the page
Going from left to right
Or right to left
I would draw lines
Down
Jogging in and out
To move between the words
Later
I would fall in love with the …
Ellipsis
A way to draw out the space
To use it
To be used by it
In prose
Poetry
E-mails
A way of letting the words breathe
Without letting them fall apart
Although there is a time and a place
To feel as if things are falling apart
In the back of that two tone Astro
Sitting in the driveway
Loaded up
With words
In a taxi in New York
Crying in your lap
Unable to find them
Alone
In a youth hostel
Fastidiously listing everything I wanted to do with you
One line after the other
No space at all
And so much
That I barely even tried to fill any of it
Barely tried to lay claim
I didn’t know any better
I didn’t know
That there is space and
There is space between
If the devil is in the details
God is in the connections
One
Word
Feeding
Off
Of
The
Next
One word feeding off of the next
So
Now
When I write poetry
I seldom break it up into separate verses
And I seldom cry
When I think of how far away you are
For I know
That you
Will always be the word right in front of me on the line held together by the space between

No comments: